Made my day!

Just accessed my inbox to find the following e-mail from the Geography Subject Leader at Churchdown Village Junior School, near Gloucester.  So lovely to read.

‘Hope you are well. Just thought I would let you know about the geography day I ran for the whole school last week focusing on their immediate environment. Each year group completed four activities, slightly differentiated. The whole school drew what they saw from various points around the school in their geographical glasses and went on a colour match hunt. Years 3 and 4 then did a journey stick and made a natural map of the school grounds. Years 5 and 6 took part in a photo orienteering course around the school grounds, answering geographical questions at each point, then created a Tagxedo.

The day couldn’t have gone better. The lovely weather obviously helped! I had some great feedback from the staff and children saying it was ‘The best day ever!!’ I have attached a few photos, but am waiting for the staff to send others to me.

Thank you for all the ideas you have given me from various courses.’

image (1) image (2) image (3) image (4) image (5) image (6) journey string orienteering

Hopefully, many more local schools will be inspired by the above and instigate a similar ‘geography day’ within their immediate environment in the very near future.